Sunday, December 15, 2013

fun in the cold

Last Wednesday, Karlee's German class went into Chicago to visit the shops at Christkindlmarket. Luckily her teacher needed another chaperone so I was able to tag along.  When I offered to go I didn't think about the cold.  It was COLD!! It was in the teens before the wind chill.  Luckily I wore ski pants and had bought hand and foot warmers so we could survive.  That's about all we did...survive. 
 

 Karlee had a worksheet she needed to fill out by talking to the shop owners.  The worksheet was in German.  She was stressed to say it mildly.  After about an hour we got some hot chocolate and went and sat in a tent to warm up. I'm soo glad they had a place to get out of the wind. 




There were lots of ways to spend money.  We had crepes, filled pretzels (mine had cream cheese, Karlee had pizza), hot chocolate, German chocolate, kettle corn, and truffles.  I also bought a couple wooden ornaments that were carved.  They were so many neat things to buy, but I tried to be good.
 
 
 
This last Friday night and Saturday we got more snow.  Brian was able to put his newest toy to the test.  It worked great!! And it didn't take him too long to complete the driveway.  At least I didn't think so, but I was inside keeping warm. ;0)


 
He didn't move the truck to clear the upper part of the driveway and the snow stuck.  Oh well, life's all about learning.

Later in the day the boys went out to shovel the deck.  I'll be honest, they played.  I didn't get any pictures. I was organizing our food storage (still unpacking).  I'm sure they'll be plenty of opportunities to get pictures of them playing in the snow.

In the 10 day forecast there are 3 days we're expecting snow and 3 days above freezing, barely.  I'm confident we'll be having a white Christmas.  The kids are thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment