Thursday, August 21, 2014

tiny trees

 
The day before school started I asked the boys if they wanted to get on the roof to help cleanout gutters. YES!! They were excited. I first helped Carson up near this tree, so he could hang onto the tree as well.  He quickly got nervous and climbed down.  Mason got to the top of the ladder, wasn't able to climb up using the tree, and decided not to.  So we then took turns standing at the top of the ladder reaching into the gutters and pulling out leaves and gross. 

Mason couldn't stand it because it was so very wet and drippy, plus he couldn't stand the bugs in the gutters.  Carson pulled out leaves until it smelled too bad for him.  (My boys are wimps.)  With someone holding the ladder, I pulled out leaves.  It was gross, and smelly, and there were more insects than I cared for. But I pushed on.


Carson did climb up to get all the leaves that were caught behind the gutter. It was surprising how much there was. Mason really wanted to get up again.  There was just no way for him to get up there without hanging on the gutters and pulling it down. He was very disappointed.


 
 
 

We then removed the bottom downspout off this gutter. We think ice builds up into the shingles because the gutter is touching the roof and there's no place for it to drain in the winter.  Hopefully this will stop the ice building up under the shingles and melting in our dinning room. 
I don't think I shared about the ice damning problem. This is the dinning room.  The plaster filled up with water when it warmed enough to melt. Luckily I walked past the dinning room just before it started to drip.  Although I wouldn't call that a drip.
 
Here is the beginning of the ice damning.  Not too cool!
 
I guess we'll find out in the Spring if removing part of the downspout worked.  We might use heat tape too.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment