Tuesday, November 29, 2016

less heart worry

Our school district offered EKG's to any high school students that was interested, FREE! I didn't feel the need to sign up Karlee but for some reason I signed up Mason. The test was the Thursday before Thanksgiving break. I happened to be volunteering at the same time. The moms/dads had a little training to learn how to do EKG's. Kind of cool.

While I was applying stickies on a girl I got a call and I felt like it was from the school. When I was finished with the line of girls I checked my voicemail and it was a nurse from the event. I quickly walked over and talked with the Dr/cardiologist available. 

The Dr showed me Mason's EKG and explained what was unusual. He explained how the heart functions and then explained what the possible problem was. To be honest my emotions were getting the best of me. 

Once I got home, after I talked with Brian, I checked insurance and scheduled an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist. Today was his appointment. Both Mason and I were a little nervous not knowing what to expect. They did another EKG and it had the same result. Since Mason didn't have any other symptoms the diagnosis from the Dr at the high school was no longer considered.


He then had an ultrasound that lasted 40 mins. Luckily they had Monsters Inc playing to distract him. Mason didn't like the idea of jelly on his chest though. Haha!

The Dr came in with the results and said the ultrasound looked normal. Everything in the right place doing their job. The next step will be a stress test, checking to see if his EKG looks the same while working hard. This could take a month or so to get an appointment. Also, a electrophysiologist. 

There's no symptoms or worries other than the EKG reading. I guess we'll take one appointment at a time. I pray this is an anomaly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment