Sunday, April 9, 2017

a wonderful blessing

Here is the other reason I've been slow about posting. Mason had surgery on Thursday and ended up being admitted for the night. He had to be at the hospital, downtown Chicago, at 6 AM. We left the house at 4:30. I wasn't sure how long it would take us and I didn't want to be late. 

They took him at 7:30 and they would update me about every two hours. He was there for an ablation. One Dr tells me he has ventricular pre-excitation and another Dr called it WPW. Which ever it was at about 4 hours in they still hadn't repaired his heart. At 6 hours they were almost finished and confirmed he would be admitted. They ended up repairing about 5-7 spots. Some were burned and others frozen. In total he was in surgery for 8 hours. Such a long day for all of us. When I talked to Mason's Dr afterwards he was surprised Mason hadn't had any symptoms before. The Dr was surprised at how easy it was to get Mason's heart in an irregular heart rhythm. Because it was so easy the Dr was vigilant at finding all the spots on his heart that needed repaired. I am so grateful!

Here's my view during lunch. The hospital had some pretty yummy food too. 

In recovery... It was hard for him to open his eyes. LOL

Getting him settled in his room. He had to lay flat for 6 hours without moving his legs. It was such torture! After a couple hours he was able to put his back up to about 30 degrees. He was still going crazy about his legs. His whole body was extremely stiff with no movement for his 8 hour surgery. 
Beautiful view!

He was in his room around 5:30. He feel back to sleep until after 7. Once he woke up he checked in with his friends. Brian, Carson and Bishop Lingard came by for a quick visit. 

Most of the evening was tough for Mason. He couldn't bend his legs for 6 hours! I know many of you think no big deal. Trust me it was. He couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom. Yes torture there too.

Here he is living the life of a King. Breakfast in bed while watching TV. Surprisingly it wasn't as enjoyable as he thought it would be. He just wanted to go home. With the few times the family has spent in the hospital, having 3 of our 5 kids, Bailee's surgery, Brian's episode a few weeks ago, Adam being born, Mason was discharged by 10 AM!! It was wonderful! We were in the car headed out of the parking garage by 10:30. It was great! 

Mason was a little sore on Saturday from the incisions. But over all he's doing great! He'll be at school Monday and he's almost caught up on his class work from missing two days of school. 

We are so very grateful for modern medicine and our Heavenly Father for watching over us. Miracles happen every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment