Thursday, April 9, 2015

Oahu ~ Day 2 ~PCC

OK, I need to warn you. There are A LOT of  pictures in this post. We had a very full day and I documented ALL of it!!
 
Tuesday we had a tour of the Island, visited the Dole Plantation, and went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. By the end of the day we were so very tired.
 
We we're picked up at our hotel and loaded a bus full of tourists and headed out towards Diamond Head. We stopped at a popular spot for surfing. I couldn't believe all the surfers in the water. I was able to get a couple of great shots of them surfing too! (I love my new camera!)
 



We then stopped at Halona Blowhole. It was beautiful! The boys would have loved playing on these rocks.


 
I don't remember what this was called below, but I loved the look of it. How cool would it be to canoe out to those rocks/islands?

 Did you know chickens ran wild on Oahu? I had no idea! They were everywhere and cute too!

 In the picture above, right center is an island. That's Coconut Island where Gilligan's Island was shot.  A little bit of trivia.

The picture below has a partial road.  The natives would travel this road, originally on foot, to take their goods to Honolulu to sell. It was a long, dangerous journey.


The above picture is not very good.  But I only saw these while on the bus.  I love the look of these mountains.  They are called the Waianae Range. They are steep and covered in foliage.

Next was the Dole Plantation. I had no idea pineapple grew on short plants.  I don't know what I thought but not this.

 It takes about 20 months for the first harvest and every five years they pull them up and replant. Plus they are harvested by hand only. They're kind of cute!

 
These fish went nuts when they were feed.
 
Brian and I shared some pineapple ice cream.  It was super yummy! and sweet.  I'm glad we shared.

 


We arrived at the Polynesian Cultural Center about 1:00. We watched the Samoan show first.






Banana anyone?
 I took the above picture waiting for the canoe pageant to start.  It was beautiful! I really enjoyed this part of the PCC. All the different islands performed from a raft.

Aotearoa (aka New Zealand)

Samoa

Fiji


Hawaii

Tonga

Tahiti
 
 
Na Ali'i O Hawaii (King of Hawaii)

This is the Tongan show.


We then got "tattoos" to fit in with the people of Fiji. Brian got the Chief tattoo while I got the Princess. ;)

During the Fiji show we had bamboo sticks to pound with the singing we did.

This one is Aotearoa. The entire time the women would shake their hands, like they were trembling, so show their emotions. It was a great show!



 
This is the dining hall. The food was buffet but good. They had prime rib, shrimp, fish, fried chicken, potatoes, a few salad choices. I had papaya for the first time.  I liked it.
We are now waiting for the show, Ha Breath of Life.  They did a great job! It was a wonderful day!!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment