Monday, July 17, 2017

Happy Birthday McKinzie!!!


Our first born turned 26 today. It's so hard to believe we have a child this age. This past year has been more than she bargained for for sure. She has persevered and she is a stronger person because of it. Although, I know she'd go back to how it was early June 2016 in a heart beat... 

Our dear friend, Jennifer W reached out to me a few weeks ago asking for ideas McKinzie liked for a surprise birthday basket. I had no idea it would develop into a three layer cake, balloons, basket full of treats and party favors. Oh my! Jennifer and Jessica, she made the cake, are awesome! They truly saved the day for McKinzie. These last few months have been very difficult for her. Her best friends are getting a divorce and she has been pulled into the middle of it and rumors are flying everywhere. McKinzie didn't know who she could reach out to and who her friends were. Jennifer and her family are true friends. I'm so grateful for them!



McKinzie gave me all of Geoff's old jeans months ago to make into a blanket. I sat on the idea for awhile. About February I got to work putting this blanket together for McKinzie's birthday. She knew I had started but had no idea what it would look like or when I'd have it finished. 

I love how it turned out! This truly was a labor of love. See all those "triangles"? I had to roll up the blanket, pushing and pulling it through my sewing machine. I didn't realize the struggle of sewing before I started. When I had one end finished sewing I turned it over and there were huge wrinkles! I unpicked about 8 sections to resew. But I was able to finish it before our reunion in June so I could give it to her in person. Whew! I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but two corners have Geoff's camo shorts pockets. When McKinzie showed Retta she instantly knew it was Daddy's pants because of the camo.

McKinzie, we love you!! We want all the best for you and wish we could take away your pain and loneliness. One day we'll all better understand the purpose of this past year. We just hope you find your best friend sooner than later. 

Love you... more, more, more.





No comments:

Post a Comment